After countless written tests and two interviews I finally got the job offer from Airvana ( A mobile broadband company). This was the second written test which I cleared. The interview was very simple and straight forward. You can obviously outperform when somebody asks you something from your areas of interest. Main focus during interview was IntelligentMirror and VideoCache, you can guess the rest 😀
Before The Interview
Checklist before going for interview
- Company’s website’s page rank
- Airvana.com (6 years) has a page rank (Google) of 5. Well thats good. Equals to my website Fedora.co.in (less than 1 year).
- Company’s website’s Alexa rank
- Domain Availability
- Checked for Airvana keyword and airvana.in and airvana.co.in was available. Mouth watering. Isn’t it 😀 But somehow convinced myself not to spend another couple of dollars.
Both Saini(s) of my batch ( Me and Pankaj Saini) are placed together 😀 WTF!!!
Well, finally I am not a jobless anymore!!!
PS : Congratulations to Pankaj and Yogesh
I have been too busy to write a post on this very blog Here are quick update.
- Released a few versions of youtube_cache in last couple of weeks. Youtube Cache now supports caching videos from 10 websites. A few ISPs are using it.
- IntelligentMirror also received updates.
- Placements are here. And I am still f**cking with this caching thing. Too addictive.
- Inclination towards higher studies as more and more companies decline campus recruitment. How tough GRE can be?
- Sudden fear of losing all the friends sucks big time
- Proxy war with a professor. Just kidding 😀
- No outing in last two weeks.
- Mahaveer’s Compete India is doing really great
The first mid sem exams has already started. I have only two mid sems this time. Looking at the blogroll one can easily guess IIITians have finally got something to do. The oldest post on front page is 3 days old. Preparing for exams is a good thing but final year students don’t have enough of them. So where are these guyz???
This time I am bit nervous about mid sems. Feeling like I never took a test and this will be the first time experience BTW I have got a major break through in my quest for caching the internet. Will share it soon. It’ll improve the caching efficiency of my GSOC project IntelligentMirror by almost 300%. This caching thing is not permitting me to prepare for exams.
Hail open source!!!
PS : This was a total random post. Wrote is just like that 😐
I have passed my final evaluations for my Google Summer of Code’08 project IntelligentMirror. It was fun and excitement developing the squid plugin. The best thing was I didn’t have to move to a different place or go office for working. Work at home, do what you always wanted to do (open source stuff), talk with people with similar interests(fedora people), get nice payments and have your first project released in open source domain That was GSoC.
Another post coming up with detailed GSoC experience
General Bordeaux 😀
This is my second post of the day but I can’t resit my to write it. I will just say that I am “Accepted For Google Summer of Code”. No its not something propritiery, its “Open Source”. Google Summer of Code is a program sponsored by Google where students write code for Open Source Organizations and Google funds them for the summer.To know more about GSOC, go here.
I submitted my proposal on IntelligentMirror which will be a package for Yum Local Repository Management to Fedora Project. You can browse the breif details of my project here, and for detailed proposal, go here. Seth Vidal, who originally developed Yum, will be mentoring me throughout the project. It will be a wonderful and exciting experience to work with Yum developers.
Kulbir Saini aKa General Bordeaux 😀
Though almost 25% of vacations are already gone, I thought of writing down my task list this summer. Maybe somebody out there have any suggestions.
- Squid Documentation/Tutorials – Status : DONE
- IPTables Tutorial – Status : In progress.
- Firewall And Proxy Server Tutorial – Status : Todo
- Policy Routing with Linux – Status : Todo
- IPRoute2 Howto – Status : Todo
- Linux Advanced Routing and Traffic Control Howto – Status : Todo
- IntelligentMirror Development – Status : In progress.
Though I didn’t opt for a project or btp in networks, I am trying to focus on real life networking which I can use to make my life easier with the damn wireless. Like learning squid was a wonderful experience and now I get 25% of the stuff I browse from my own cache
Happy Summer Vacations,